Creative Kids Tales - 2018 Writing Competition
Felines, Farts or Frightening Places (Authors)
We thought we’d give you some fun prompts to work with for our first writing competition for 2018 - Felines, Farts or Frightening Places.
Who doesn’t love felines? Frightening places conjures up all sorts of creative ideas and farts, well just say the word and kids get the giggles.
Now it’s time to tickle our judge’s funny bones or scare them, we’ll leave it up to you.
Apart from our entertaining topics we’ve decided to have two CATegories (excuse the pun):
Chapter Book or Picture Book.
You can submit either a first chapter of up to 1000 words or a picture book of no more than 650 words. Be sure to clearly mark chapter or picture book on the cover page including your chosen category.
It can be set in past, present or future - let your imagination run wild. Our judges love humour, twists and turns and of course the extremely entertaining.
You can enter as many times as you like.
Your submission should be suitable for children aged 3 - 12 yrs.
All entrants will receive a feedback sheet on their entry.
Sponsored by Faber Writing Academy
Opens: 1st April 2018
Closes: 30th June 2018 at 11.59pm (Entries received after the closing date will not be accepted.)
Winners will be announced on the Creative Kids Tales website on 1 August 2018 and all prizes will be distributed by 31 August 2018.
1st Prize - Will receive a $295 Faber Writing Academy voucher to be redeemed at one of their writing courses in either Sydney or Melbourne – valid for 12 months from 1st August 2018*.
($295 covers the cost of a 1 day course (incl GST) or you can use it towards the cost of a longer Faber Academy course) faberwritingacademy.com.au
2nd Prize - Will receive a detailed critique of their entry through the Creative Kids Tales Manuscript Assessment service. Value $100
3rd Prize - Will receive a $50 book pack and one year membership with Creative Kids Tales.
All other entrants will receive a feedback sheet. The winner’s names only will be displayed on the Creative Kids Tales website.
Conditions of Entry:
- Submissions must be original work by the addressee only. Your entry must not have been accepted for publication (in print or online) or won a prize in any other competition at time of submission.
- Entries by Australian residents aged between 18 - 110 years old. Your story must appeal to children aged between 3 - 12 years of age.
- 1000 word limit for first chapters from a chapter or middle grade book (entries over this limit will be disqualified without further correspondence).
- 650 word limit for picture book (entries over this limit will be disqualified without further correspondence).
- No illustrations or illustration notes to be included.
Entry Fee: $20 (please see payment options below) If paying by PayPal please include an additional $1 for the PayPal processing fee eg $21.
- Cover page with full contact details including word count and clearly stating chapter or picture book.
- Please include your chosen category on your cover page eg Felines. Farts. Frightening Places.
- Proof of payment.
- All pages to be numbered in the footer, bottom right. Eg. 1 of 2 pages etc. (Do not include entrants name in the footer)
- The manuscript must be submitted in 12 point Times New Roman font with left justification, double-spaced with an indent to indicate new paragraphs.
- Please ensure there is a 3cm margin at the top, bottom, left and right of each page.
- Entry to be submitted in English with correct spelling and grammar.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Travel to and from Faber Academy in Sydney or Melbourne will be the responsibility of the winner.
- Creative Kids Tales is not liable for any travel or accommodation costs incurred.
(If paying by PayPal please include an additional $1 for the PayPal processing fee. Eg $21 )
|Direct deposit:||-||St George Bank|
|Account name:||-||CZ Donaghey|
You can enter as many times as you like.
About Faber Writing Academy
Faber Writing Academy at Allen & Unwin is an exciting writing programme offering a range of courses from one-day workshops to longer courses devised by the foremost practitioners in their fields.
Since launching its first course at Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris in 2008, Faber Academy has tutored more than 1500 students in courses ranging from one-day workshops such as Getting Published to longer courses including our popular program Writing a Novel.
Faber Academy was established by iconic London publishing house Faber and Faber to provide high quality, practical creative writing courses that draw participants into the epicentre of the book publishing world. The writing courses are devised and run by leading figures in contemporary publishing. To date, Faber Academy has given the opportunity for writers to benefit first-hand from authors such as Jeanette Winterson, Louise Doughty, Blake Morrison, Helen Dunmore, Margaret Atwood, Miriam Toews, Kathryn Heyman, James Bradley, Patti Miller, Sebastian Barry and Hanif Kureishi.
In 2010, Faber Academy found a natural home with Australia's award-winning publisher Allen & Unwin, and courses are offered in Sydney and Melbourne.