Patricia Simmons' Milestones
The real ‘Milestone’ for me was the decision at the beginning of 2010 to stop thinking about being a writer and actually start writing!
What follows are the ‘Stepping Stones’ that make me happy and keep me motivated to write more:-
- Patricia (Pat) Simmons is pleased to announce that her short story, ‘Jimona’s Bones’ came second in the 2013 Best Little Bookshop in Town’s short story competition.
- Winner of Best Little Book Shop in Town’s short story competition in 2010 with Eva and the Bookshop Man, Third place in 2011 with Interview with the Cane Toad and winner in 2012 with Dear Lewis Carroll.
- Publication of short story, Snapdragon, in 2012 anthology Short and Twisted (Celapene Press).
- Mona the China Elephant Commended Certificate from Dee White (Fact in Fiction Writing Competition October 2012).
- Winner of BritWriters’ September 2012 Picture the Story, short story competition with The Challenge.
- December 2014: ‘A Letter from Alice’ gained second place in CKT’s ‘The Journey’ competition and appears in the anthology ‘The Journey’.
- April 2015: ‘Teach Me To Dance’ included in Sally Odgers’ soon to be published ‘Lucky Draw’ anthology.
- July 2015: 1st prize in the Buzz Words ‘first 250 words’ story competition. Thank you Di Bates
- Trim published in Alphabet Soup Spring 2011.
- Mrs. Chippy accepted by School Magazine 2012.
- Lunchtime published in Hopscotch 2012 (Jelli Beanz publishing).
- Mr. Pickle’s Pet Shop, winner of Thynks Publications poetry competition and published in 50 Funny Poems for Children 2012.
- Zoe’s Zoo appears in the November edition of Positive Words magazine.
- Frog Pie accepted by Alphabet Soup for February 2013 publication.
- Poem 'The Visit' accepted for publication by Celapene Press in their anthology 'Short and Twisted 2013'
- ‘Trim’ published in Looking Glass Magazine 2013
- ‘Zoe’s Zoo’ has been kind to me:
- April 2014 received Highly Commended in the Kathleen Julia Bates Memorial writing competition.
- March 2015 accepted for publication in Looking Glass Magazine
- ‘Humungous Fungus’ gained Highly Commended in PIO Spring Poetry competition December 2014
- ‘Mrs. Chippy’ published in School Magazine ‘Blast Off’ February 2015
- All the above poems will appear in my first published poetry collection, ‘All Creatures Cute and Quirky’ coming out later this year from Thynks Publishing UK. I’m now working on a second collection, ‘More Creatures Cute and Quirky.’
- ‘A Kite’s Tale’ gained second place in PIO Spring 2013 competition.
- ‘The Visit’ published by Thynks in their anthology, ‘Bards of Blidworth’ November 2014
- I’m also delighted to have 11 poems in Sally Odgers’ Rhyming Anthology soon to be published.
Flash Fiction 100 Words
I must first thank author Sheryl Gwyther for creating her Flash Fiction group on Facebook. I’ve learned so much from being part of this group and now enjoy creating 100 word stories.
- February 2015: ‘The Garden’ came in the top 10 Flash Fiction UK competition run by Earlyworks Press and will be included in their next anthology.
- March 2015: ‘Precious’ accepted by Celapene Press for publication in the 2015 anthology ‘Short and Twisted’.
- July 2015: 1st prize in the FAWQ flash fiction ‘harvest’ competition with my story ‘The Nightworker’
To find out more about Patricia Simmons please view her Author profile.